On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 12:34:58PM -0500, jim scott wrote:
> I think I left a key fact out of my original description. I can boot to the
> SATA drive. Everything seems to work normally for an hour or more, then the
> system spontaneously reboots and "loses" the SATA drive. Is it likely a
> motherboard problem if the problem doesn't occur on first boot?

If you take the IDE hard-disk out, for a day, does it improve the
stability? (I know it used to work, let's find out if the damage is
permanent).

If that config is stable, try running with only the IDE disk. Find
another one and do a clean install of your favorite distro and use
that for a couple of days.

Linux does not use the BIOS, so unless there is some severe hardware
problem, I don't see what could cause spontaneous reboots.

Does the machine have a serial port? Do you have another machine close
by? You could try to set up a serial console, it should capture any
last distress messages from the kernel before the panic/reboot, if it is
aware of anything.

florin

--
There was a typo, but on the wrong page.
   -- Vipin Kumar