On 12/22/06, Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 22:56 -0600, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> > "Kevin Lombardo" <kevin.lombardo at gmail.com>  wrote:
> > > 1. Is there a way to tell which device drivers have been compiled in
> > > to a pre-built kernel?
> >
> > The config file used to build the kernel is always found as
> > /boot/config-`uname -r`.
> How does this config file get there?  I ask because I've built many a
> kernel and the only time I find a config file there is when it's been
> part of the install of a particular distribution.  Is it standard that
> all distributions do this?  Should I be doing it when I compile my own
> kernel?

It has become more or less a standard among kernel packagers to
provide the config, and that location makes sense. Some distros
provide the config in other ways, I dont think its a standard
location.  All debian provided kernel packages will have the config
there, though.  If you build your own kernel, I suggest keeping a copy
there for your own reference, but nothing actually relies on it
directly.

--
Jay Kline
http://www.slushpupie.com/