Bryan Zimmer writes:

> I am now trying to do the same thing with the Fedora Core 5 Installation DVD.
> I have the .iso file that Redhat distributes, FC-5-DVD-i386.iso. But I can't
> seem to create a bootable DVD with my DVD writer, The system I am using to try
> to create the DVD is a somewhat upgraded HP Pavilion with a "Lite On" DVD+R
> DVD/CD writer (and also a Samsung CD-RW), This system already is running
> Fedora Core 5. I downloaded the DVD .iso file to install on another computer.

for future refrence burning an iso is not the same as creating a bootable
cd/dvd. in fact cdrecord does not create a bootable cds it just burns them,
mkisofs creates bootable cds.

> Really I used to do this regularly with CD's. Once I had an iso file ready, I
> used to write it out to CD with a command very much like the following:
>
> # cdrecord -dev=1,1,0 -data -vvv -speed=8 -isosize -dao {whatever).iso.
>
> Now, that command hasn't succeeded in creating me a FC 5 installation DVD. I
> have read through the copious man page for cdrecord. I have tried various
> optionzs including various SCSI drivers, but with no success. The program
> creates a DVD and reports no errors, but then the newly created DVD will not
> boot.

so cdrecord does not finish burning? in my experience this is quite likely
caused by cdrecord, due to some licensing issues cdrecord does not have the
ability to burn DVDs, you need to buy the pro version therof. cdrecord being
open source of course there are various forks out there but none work well.
( in fact, cdrecord-Pro did not work so well for me either) i think dvd
writing support in linux is rather poor to begin with, lack of tools does
not help. Of course this is probably due to all the infighting in the dvd
consortiums.

One tool that i have used to write DVDs successfully with is growisofs (yes
i know, ignore the name/history) read the man page on how to use it to burn
DVDs. it is something like growisofs -X/dev/hdc:/path/to/iso

--
Munir Nassar