Robert De Mars wrote:
> Hello, and a good day to you all.  This is almost off topic, but will be
> run on a Slackware box, so here goes.
>
> Does anyone know of a program that can convert real audio (.rm) files
> into .mp3 format.  I do not run a GUI, so it would need to be run from
> the shell.
>
> I keep an audio archive for a church.  Basicly the church makes
> available a daily broadcast, and stores them on their website for 7
> days.  After 7 days, the newer files bump the older one off.  For
> reasons unknown, I offered to mirror the site, and maintain an archive
> of all the files.  The church broadcasts are in .rm format.
>
> Several years have gone by since I setup the archive, and I was starting
> to wonder if anyone ever used it.  In the past week, I have received
> several requests for the files in .mp3 format.
>
> Ideally, I would like my machine to download the files daily (as it
> currently does), and then have them automaticly converted to .mp3?
>
> Any thoughts on this would be grand.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Robert De Mars

 ]$ mencoder summit07_eben1.ogg -of mpeg -mpegopts
format=mpeg1:tsaf:muxrate=2000 -o summit3.mpg -oac lavc -lavcopts
acodec=mp2:abitrate=224 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=1152:keyint=15:mbd=2:aspect=4/3

If you use the MPlayer downloads recommendation that suits what you want
to do, the above command should let you substitute your input file and
output file to whatever names you choose, or file formats you choose,
and possibly get something that plays on others' media players.
Tom