passing of free wireless hotspots.  Check the news: bad stuff is what
actually happens.

Cities Struggle With Wireless Internet   By ANICK JESDANUN (AP Internet
Writer) From Associated Press May 22, 2007 12:42 AM EDT
http://my.earthlink.net/article/tec?guid=20070521/46526ac0_3ca6_15526200
70522-175081373&error=2

This intrusive rant below should have gone to the list.  Nice ideas, but
contrary to the major news of what usually happens.

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Krejci [mailto:jus at krytosvirus.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2007 10:24 PM
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Linux friendly DSL or Cable

Sorry for the late reply, been extremely busy lately. I just want to
clarify a
couple of your misconceptions about this muni wifi network.

Since I read thru the whole thread already and it seems like the thread
is at
an end and also far away from the original posters question, I will just
reply to you directly, though it seems you may not like that practice.

On Monday 07 May 2007 22:01, Chuck Cole wrote:
> [...]

No, it is standard wifi you can connect with your laptop (or desktop)
wifi
card. The customer CPE is for increased signal reception, and eventually
redistribute wifi directly inside the home if you choose.

> > The wireless is very exciting and hopefully more of the metro
> > area will participate making a huge connected network.
>
> Does this mean anything more than having more people pay for
> higher-priced, proprietary modems in order to have their home
connected
> to the internet?  I doubt that there's any bandwidth ceiling advantage
> over fiber-to-the-home

It is not proprietary. I also imply that connecting the metro up with
other
muni wifi networks could make it be cool and possibly be transparent to
the
end user for migrating from one to the other. Bandwidth in wifi vs
fiber?
Well yeah fiber wins out but it is not as portable. I could imagine wifi
tech
getting so efficient that using fiber would become obsolete for short
haul
transmissions (short haul meaning in the context of a muni wifi network
backbone). Maybe I am just dreaming but if people don't try things out
cool
things definitely will not happen.

> > Couple that with mobile VPNs
> > and I think it will make a pretty sweet network.
>
> Are you sure that mobile VPNs will be supported by municipal wireless
> ISPs in the near term?  I'd expect municipal service contracts to
differ
> from neighboring cities, and that may be a cause for a big delay
> (decades?) in having mobile options for that new service.  Cell
carrier
> services (plue 911 type service carriers) are already capable of
> supporting municipal needs, so the justification to scrap equipment
and
> change to a new scheme may be hard to achieve.

What does ISPs, network medium, etc have to do with mobile vpns? What
applications you run over your internet connections are not usually a
matter
of concern for the ISPs (unless you are a big brother conspiracy
theorist).

Also, later in the thread you commented about geographically specific
subscriptions. You also refer to Chaska as an example. I am not familiar
with
details on the Chaska wifi so it may be ignorance on my part but with
the
minneapolis one there is a single login/auth system for the entire
network.
You login while sitting at home, and roam around town/downtown you do
not
need re-auth. Which ties into my comment about spreading out to other
muni
wifi systems, even if not US Internet based they could still be made to
be
compatible auth system so as not to require re-authenticating when
moving
from one network to the other.

This is similar in principle to how national dial-up works. You don't
really
think Earthlink has 30,000 (or whatever the number is) phone numbers
around
the country? They have deals with companies like Qwest, AT&T, etc to use
their numbers and when the end user authenticates with their username
there
is usually a prefix that signifies to the phone companies auth system
(radius
typically) to send the auth to your ISP's auth system. You can have
multiple
ISPs using the same numbers, and one user using multiple phone numbers
around
the country under the same ISP account transparently (except for having
select a different number) to the end user.

As for the impact on free wifi hotspots, they might stick around for a
while
but you are right, there is a good chance they might go away. Is it
really
that bad? Are you worried about it that much? You can purchase a short
term
subscription like 1 day or 1 week subscription. Some facilities will be
able
to hand out free vouchers good for 1 day or 3 days or whatever if they
have
an event. Additionally there will be free areas on the network in any
case.

Do you not think large scale wifi is inevitable? I am sure in 5-10 years
people will not even think about the archaic pre-wifi days and wifi will
be
so much more honed and refined of a technology it will be as common
place as
ethernet switches are now. There is a technology refresh requirement in
the
contract so a complete hardware upgrade is required after a certain
number of
years so as to be compatible with the latest standards and trends, which
will
probably include large bandwidth increases in the environment as tech
gets
better.