May not be useful info, but I have setup problems in Ubuntu with a USB-connected HP F4180 DeskJet printer attached to a separate
Windows box "a".  My 3 other HP printers (one LaserJet on net, one DeskJet using parallel port on Windows box "b", one LaserJet
using parallel port on Windows box "c").

The HP USB printer has no local printing problem when directly connected to the Ubuntu laptop, but won't work for Ubuntu when on
Windows box "a".  Three of four remote printers work fine from the Ubuntu laptop.  Four of four work fine when the laptop runs
Windows.

Something is missing or not set up right in my Ubunto on that laptop, but the local setup for that printer is complete and fine.  I
haven't tried to solve this problem yet since at least 3 printers are working fine in any case.

Chuck