On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 01:40:22AM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> >> ...which Linux distros will have 64-bit packages ready to run on that
> >> architecture making full use of the available memory (e.g., 16 GB RAM)?
> >
> > All the major Linux distributions have 64-bit kernel/binaries:
> >
> >   Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Centos
>
> I guess Ubuntu runs on all sorts of 64-bit Intel chips and chipsets, so
> that won't be a problem.  But are the packages also compiled for the
> 64-bit architecture?  For most packages it probably won't matter much.
> Maybe this is the right answer:

If you install Ubuntu/Debian AMD64, then all you get is 64-bit compiled
binaries.  If you want to run 32-bit applications, you need to install
the ia32-libs package.

Fedora AMD64 by default installs a large number of 32-bit libraries,
so you can run your old binaries without too much trouble.

> I'll also have to make sure that Oracle will run on that system before I
> buy it (I think I mentioned before that I'm stuck in Oracle world for now
> but may go to PostgreSQL someday).

Oracle has a 64-bit versions for most of the supported platforms,
including Linux.  With Oracle (and most proprietary packages) it might
be easier to use Centos/OpenSuse since the instructions will probably
be tailored to RedHat and Suse.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163