On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 02:45:08PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> OK, but how does Python compare with Perl and Ruby?  They don't have
> interactive shells?  Are there other major differences.

Imho, you should learn a little bit of all three so you have a bit of
context for the differences.  That said,

I wouldn't bother with perl unless there's a legacy codebase you are
interested in.  They haven't released a new major version in some 10
years, and I don't think very many people choose it for *new* projects.
It does still have a foothold in the sys admin's tool belt and is
ubiquitous in server environments, but as a language it's frequently
discounted now days for anything beyond glorified shell scripts.  Still
worth knowing at least superficially because you will run into it.

Ruby and python are somewhat similar in terms of popularity and
adoption.  Ruby's probably stronger on the web side (with rails).
Python can certainly do web things, but there's significant
fragmentation in terms of the availability of frameworks and development
environments.

ymmv,
drue

--
As implied by email protocols, the information in this message is not
not confidential.  Any middle-man or recipient may inspect, modify,