On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Dan Armbrust wrote:

> Apache and Eclipse don't allow GPL licensed code contributions, because
> its not free enough.  The restrictions are silly.  Why would you want to
> cut your software off from 90% of your potential users? Sure, there are
> arguments that they might release their own product based on it... but,
> that doesn't seem to happen in practice.

Yes it does.  We were just talking the other day about EnterpriseDB which
is based on PostgreSQL.  EnterpriseDB is proprietary and the source code
is not available.  PostgreSQL uses a BSD license, but if it had used a GPL
license, EnterpriseDB would have to make source available, or not exist in
the first place.

Mike