On Oct  2 14:45, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Nate Straz wrote:
> >On Oct  2 14:22, Mike Miller wrote:
> >
> >>I want to spend some time learning a general-purpose interpreted
> >>language.
> >
> >I recommend Python.  The interactive shell it provides make it very easy
> >to try things out before you put them in a script.
>
> OK, but how does Python compare with Perl and Ruby?  They don't have
> interactive shells?  Are there other major differences.

Python has a very large and active development community, including work
on the core language.  It has a very rich standard library and several
web frameworks to choose from.

I haven't done anything with Ruby, so I can't comment on that.

I have written some Perl code.  Enough that I'm not completely
frustrated with the language anymore.  There is always some set of magic
characters you need to put around a variable name in Perl to get it to
do what you want.  I think Python is better for the following reasons:
 1. The interactive shell makes it trivial to experiment.
 2. The standard library is just that, standard.  It'll always be there.
 3. OOP was built in, not bolted on
 4. There's a local Python Users Group (TCZPUG) ;)
 5. Python code tends to look cleaner than other code.

Nate