The simplest solution is rsync. The possibilities are endless, of
course. you have to know how to utilize it for your needs, though.

Most importantly, because you have removable drives, I find it useful
to keep the script for the backup on the drive itself. This will let
you use relative paths for the target directory. Why? If you're
running a distro that may be prone to changing the way it handles
auto-mounting, your script won't break.

If you run this command from the drive:

rsync -azP --log-file=backup.log --exclude-from=./exclude.lst
--max-size=100M ~/* ./back-`date "+%Y-%m-%dT%H-%M-%S"`

you'll get a directory in the current directory called back- + the
date with everything in your home directory that's NOT in the
exclude.lst file and that's smaller than 100MB. The backup will be
stored in a directory called back- + the date.

it only gets better from there

http://blog.interlinked.org/tutorials/rsync_time_machine.html