<Pine.GSO.4.60.0810030017350.8955 at taxa.epi.umn.edu>, Mike Miller
<mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Smith, Craig A wrote:
>
>> Perl is great because you always have source and, thanks to its
>> just-in-time complier, runs loops as fast as non-interpreted languages.
>
> How does this compare with what Perl is doing:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyco

I think if you look for "Perl to C compilers" you will get a number of interesting hits.
It's been a topic of conversation for years.

This seems to be what Perl is "doing":

http://www.parrot.org/

"Parrot is a virtual machine designed to efficiently compile and execute bytecode for dynamic languages. Parrot currently hosts a variety of language implementations in various stages of completion, including Tcl, Javascript, Ruby, Lua, Scheme, PHP, Python, Perl 6, APL, and a .NET bytecode translator."

If you want to know something about Perl current events from someone
other than current Python and Ruby developers, you can go here:

http://rakudo.org/