On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 10:54:24AM -0500, Dan Armbrust wrote:
> >> If Tomcat were under GPL, we wouldn't be using
> >> Tomcat.  Simple as that.
> >
> > You most likely would, since you are insulated from the tomcat
> > implementation by the servlet/jsp/jsf/whatver interface specification.
>
> Corporate lawyers don't want to even here the word GPL, much less
> debate what makes something a derivative work.
>
> In a company large enough to have its own lawyers, just mention the
> word GPL related to one of your software releases and see what happens

Oh, I know what happens.  Five years ago, our lawyers did not want to
have anything to do with Apache license either.  So we ended up
reimplementing struts, poorly, and we lost tons of money and contract
opportunities because we were a few years late.

But this is not GPL's fault, is it?

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163