On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 20:50 -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> I think we can start by discussing whether a name change is a good
> idea in principle.  I think it is.  Then we can talk about what the
> real effects of a name change are:  Updating web page text, web page
> graphics, letterhead(?), schwag, and so on.
>
> I think tclug.org is fine to keep.  If we vote to change the name, we
> should just change in web page text both the long name (to Twin Cities
> GNU/Linux User Group) and the abbreviation (to TCGLUG), which should
> be an easy perl regexp kind of thing to do, and then deal with the
> graphical stuff in time.

I doubt I really have a say since I'm such a new TCLUG member, but your
ideas sound quite reasonable, Mike.

Folks, RMS's request may sound petty and ego-driven; not the case. His
motives and intentions are spot on. He's an idealist and a life-long
activist. He seeks to raise awareness of GNU. Sounds like he'd use
anything (including his fame) as leverage to further this cause. I
wouldn't advocate a name change because RMS asked, rather because I
believe changing the name makes a difference.

I'm a Free Software evangelist. As such, I feel it is important to
support, celebrate, and recognize GNU. Free Software, including GNU,
helps protect my and others' political freedoms.

I'm curious if other LUGs have become GLUGs... anyone know? Might be
neat to be the first.

--
Adam Monsen