Here is my two cents from way outside the sidelines:
My impression from reading the original email was that maybe it was
intended as an old joke, a play on words.
i.e. TCLUG was TCGLUG because you mentioned going out for a beer, as in
glug, glug, glug, drink up.
But if that was the intention, I'd expect some of you closer to the
group to have mentioned it.

I was interested to hear he was in town, but I was not intending to go
to the meeting.
I'm a fan of Linux but not rabid about GNU only. I want to use whatever
works or whatever I need for the task.
To me that means being able to use a printer or display media files even
if they don't have GNU drivers.
Now I'll go back to the sidelines and read the mail some more.....

Doug.