On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 09:24:27AM -0500, Chris Schumann wrote:
> I am against the name change. If you care why, read on.
>
> GNU has indeed made huge contributions to what's on our machines. As
> others have pointed out, so have
> Qt,
   licensed under GPL

> GNOME,
   mixture of GPL and LGPL

> KDE,
   mixture of GPL and LGPL

> X.org,
   MIT license

> OSS
   BSD?

> /ALSA
   GPL/LGPL

> driver writers
   GPL

> OpenOffice.org,
   LGPL

>Apache, Eclipse, and many many others under
> different licenses.

How many were influenced by, or based on GNU software?

> However culturally, we identify the software we install as "Linux
> distributions" and say we run "Linux," even while we are all fully aware
> that what actually runs is a large collection of software from many
> sources.

Do you ever change your mind about something?

> IMHO, singling out GNU as *THE* contributor above all others is unhelpful,
> too wordy, inconvenient, and confusing.

How is that different from singling out "Linux" as *THE* "thing"?

florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163