I like and use Ubuntu on all my desktops and servers.  The reason I use
Ubuntu are because it was the hot Linux distro of the day, the package
system is nice (thx 2 Debian), has a handy dialog for proprietary video
drivers, and supports all sorts of hardware including quad core cpus.
I'm sure the latest version of CentOS, Fedora, OpenSuse, etc are on par
with Ubuntu.

If time isn't an issue, wait 3-1/2 weeks for Ubuntu 8.10 to come out.
Otherwise you can try 8.04 and upgrade later.  The upgrade process is
really, really easy.

-Chris