On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Dan Smith <dan.smith225 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As naturally as it would happen in the MS world, I had my Quad Core System
>    running Vista and with the most recent Windows Defender Security Update,
> it
>    hosed my system.  I was able to save my data, due to keeping on another
>    drive seporate from Windows.
>    My question to the group is, I am alooking for a nice distro that has
> alot
>    of packages, is light with the GUI (Not ready for text only..), and
>    something that supports the Multiple processor package (Since I'm
> assuming
>    thats how Unix/Linux will read a quad core Phenom running at 2.5ghz).  I
>    currently have 4gb's of ram in the system and it's my goal to keep that
>    memory in the box.
>    Can someone please help reccomend a strong distro with X86_x64
> support?...
>    Once I have looked at are Cent OS 5, and OpenSuse 11.
>    Thanks,
>    Dan

All has their pros and cons. I would recommend Ubuntu for a home
system - read mail, browse Internet, word processing. For a
workstation - joining domains, development, server setup (for dev
purposes), etc. - OpenSuse is the way to go. YaST is very powerful
configuration tool in that regard. That's what I actually do -
opensuse at work and on my main machine at home and my laptop, and
ubuntu for my kids, wife and friends.

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.