On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 11:08:59AM -0500, Dan Armbrust wrote:

> >> GNOME, KDE, driver, OpenOffice.org
> >
> > Don't forget about the listserv we're using.
> > Mailman is another GNU GPL project from the FSF.
>
> Yes, but you are also mixing together projects written by the GNU
> developers, with software which is simply GPL licensed.

"Simply"?  How do you know it was "simply"?  Did they really toss all
licenses into a had an pulled one out?

> For example, GNU shouldn't be given credit for things like KDE and
> open office, simply because they choose a license published by the
> FSF/GNU folks.

It was not "simply" "published", but _created_ by Richard and the FSF.
And their license and manifesto inspired the KDE and Gnome developers
(openoffice.org and java were licensed that way for different reasons).
In that manner, GNU deserves credit for trying and sometimes succeeding
in opening people's eyes and minds.

florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163