On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 12:17:20PM -0500, Eric F Crist wrote:
> > > For example, GNU shouldn't be given credit for things like KDE and
> > > open office, simply because they choose a license published by the
> > > FSF/GNU folks.
> >

> > Well, in an extended sense, maybe they should. Were it not for the
> > GNU platform there wouldn't be KDE (or Linux, for that matter).
> > -pete, who's still on the fence about the name change, just trying
> > to play devil's advocate
>
> Not to pick a nit, here, but Linux exists entirely without GNU.  A
> full linux-based OS is hard to come by without it, however.

I call your nit and raise two:

   Linux has 17 years now.  For its first 14, the only compiler that
   could compile it was GNU C compiler.

   "Making Linux GPL'd was definitely the best thing I ever did."
      -- Linus Torvalds (http://www.ddj.com/architect/184412902)

florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163