On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Chuck Cole wrote:

> The KISS version of the name works for most folks...
>    and was what was chosen first,
>       and was chosen by folks who knew of Stallman (etc) when they chose.

Well the first name used for the system was GNU, wasn't it?  Then Linus
wrote a kernel and named it Linux, after himself, and said that it was
"nothing" without GNU.  So why don't we call the system that includes the
Linus' kernel GNU, which was its original name?

The fact that many people call it Linux doesn't imply that we shouldn't
call it GNU/Linux.  The name serves a useful purpose by promoting an
ideal.

Mike