On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Robert Sinland <rsinland at gvtel.com> wrote:
> Anyway, you guys have a chance to go meet Richard.  Thats great!   He's
> just a man, but he has influenced computing or computer using as we know it.
> Go see the man, hear what he has to say.  Name of the user group I would
> be reluctant to change just for this one occasion, but WTH, we can
> always change it back if thats the case.
> What I was shooting for was this.  RMS is a man that has a history and
> will be associated with computer users in one way or another for some
> time.  But I think that love him, hate him,
> whatever..   You guys should look at this as a chance to get to know
> him, and maybe influence him as well.  If nothing else you can tell your
> kids you met him and bent his ear.
> Thats probably 3 cents worth, can give change if needed:)

I have been using Linux and GNU for 12 years now.  The one thing that
is always constant is that even just mentioning the name Richard
Stallman ALWAYS starts a huge debate.  I have argued from both sides
on this issue (what can I say, it gets boring saying the same thing),
and the result is never beneficial to the community or to the people
involved.  To me, the fundamental motives of a Linux Users Group is to
promote and educate people about the GNU philosophy and show them a
better way to use their computers.  It is my opinion that beating a
dead horse issue does not follow in this direction; in fact it
distracts from it.  These arguments have all been made, but it still
needs to be said that Richard Stallman brings negativity and
dissension that quite possibly outweigh the significance of his
contributions.  I do not know him personally and have not communicated
with him, and have no judgment towards his personality or morals.  But
it is my take that he cares more about his ideals than any concept of
community or common ground.