I have been a long time lurker, occasional question asker and I even
attended a few meeting at the U several years ago.

I have no objection to taking a vote to change the name of the group.  I
suspect it is the only way to end this eternal discussion.  (If that
even does it.)

I will be voting for "no change" for several reasons.

I do not like the manner in which this came up.  I feel that it is a
defacto blackmail attempt.  The only way to "guarantee" that Mr.
Stallman will meet with us is to change our name.

I agree with other comments that this group was always "open" to all
varieties of "Linux".  A name change, as suggested, would appear to
limit that openness.  I have no idea which "flavors" of "Linux" use the
GNU utilities and tools and which do not.  Nor do I care.

IMHO "discussions" like this only server to hurt "Linux" in the
marketplace.  Holy wars such as this and those between flavors of
"Linux" alienate many people and businesses that might otherwise take a
closer look at "Linux".

Twin Cities Linux Users Group has been the group's name for a long time.
It is what people who know of us expect to hear and look for.  Brand
names have great value and should not be changed on a whim.

Finally, while I admit to leading a rather sheltered life, the operating
systems that I have been exposed to have not, to the best of my
knowledge, differentiated between the kernel and the tools and utilities
that surround that kernel.  DOS consisted of a kernel and other tools
and utilities.  Data General's AOS and AOS-VS consisted of a kernel and
other tools and utilities.  DEC's VMS consisted of a kernel and other
tools and utilities.  And so on.  I, therefore, believe that to the
majority of the public, including the majority within the industry,
"Linux" refers to the combination of the kernel and the tools and
utilities that surround it.  That is true whether those utilities and
tools are GNU or some other flavor.

To me the issue does not warrant the attention it has already received.

Larry Pint