On Thursday October 9 2008 12:21:06 Jima wrote:
> p.daniels wrote:
> > Okay, for real. I'm not gonna sit here and name names, but some people
> > out there should be ashamed of their behavior. My god, there's more
> > bullies in here than a junior high locker room.
> >
> > So here's my humble proposal. If we are in fact voting here (are we
> > voting now?), then just go cast your vote in the Name Change Vote
> > thread. No expository text needed, no electioneering, no nothin'. Just
> > an X next to your choice will suffice. No replying to other people's
> > votes with a continuation of your argument. There are like six threads
> > going for that right now, pick any one of them.
> >
> > And people will vote, and the votes will be counted, and we'll find some
> > kind of consensus here, and do (or not do) whatever the group decides to
> > do (or not do). Like the grown-ups do.
> >
> > Seriously. This is disgusting, people.
>
>   Judging by your last email, you might want to take your own advice,
> Pete.  Flamewars and thinly-veiled name-calling isn't productive, either.
>
>       Jima
>
> who'd like to hope he hasn't come off as too aggressive

Man, I'm trying damn hard here. But I've reached the point of disgust where I
have to either say something or unsubscribe from the list. I don't really want
to do that. Have I lost my temper with some folks? Yeah, I have. I don't feel
unjustified in that either. I have endured personal attacks and unwelcome and
insulting off-list mail showing up in my inbox and I don't like that.
Especially when I have at no point declared my intentions for one side or the
other.

Through this whole thing, all I have jumped in to say is "please stop being
assholes, people." And I don't think it's a lot to ask that people comport
themselves as adults in public. If I wanted to watch a bunch of jerkoffs call
each other names, I know how to find Slashdot.

Would it behoove me to take my own medicine a little bit? Yeah, no doubt, and
I'd very much like to do that. Does that invalidate what I'm saying? I don't
think so, no.

-pete, who at no point in this debate has found you aggressive in the least,
so thanks for that