On Oct 9, 2008, at 1:42 PM, Smith, Craig A wrote:

> Eric, a self-admitted bsd loyalist, wrote:
>
>> Then leave.  It's been fairly obvious that the majority of those who
>> voted don't want change.  If you don't like the group, as has been
>> mentioned, you're welcome to start your own.
>
> Ignoring the fact that no formal vote has been called, I'm reminded of
> flag-wavers saying "If you don't love America then leave."
>
> Dissent is patriotic.  Is it unreasonable for the name to acknowledge
> history and the contributions of many dedicated individuals?
>
> I'm shocked that anyone associated with a group devoted to the free
> and
> open exchange of software and ideas should be told to go away.
> Perhaps
> you, Eric, should start your own group of intolerant bsd users?  Of
> course you'd still be welcome here, with us "peasants" as you like to
> refer to us ;-)

I would hardly call myself intolerant.  I prefer the more PC (no pun
intended) 'unwilling to coexist with those of dissimilar taste.'  :P
Honestly, I use Linux on a desktop or two, and administer a few Linux
desktops at the office.  I prefer BSD, but am convinced Linux has a
place, and is more than usable.  Again, since some will read into
this, I'm not saying BSD is better than Linux, even if it is. :D

I was simply commenting, with my 'then leave' comment, on some
members' seemingly sudden dissatisfaction with the name of the group.
It seemed to coincide with a certain email from a certain prominent
person in the community.  Also, it seems that a large part of the
group doesn't want change.  Last, I was simply suggesting that those
members who want change, might find less resistance if they were to
start their own group.  Meow.

---
Eric Crist