On Thursday October 9 2008 19:09:02 Mike Miller wrote:
> We still don't know if anyone has permissions to change the web pages on
> tclug.org.  The outcome of any vote would be irrelevant if we don't know
> who can change the web pages.
>
> There is no club president or any kind of officer.  There is no way to
> make decisions.  I was trying to find out who had some authority here when
> the "vote" spam ensued "spontaneously."  Now it seems that people are
> saying that it is better to have this kind of spam fest than to try to
> work with founding members to come up with a system for making group
> decisions.  OK, but I don't see how it is better.
>
> It has gotten to the point now where the self-righteous types have started
> to chime in with messages saying that we shouldn't send messages.  I guess
> the anti-message message isn't obvious enough as a form of self-contained
> hypocrisy that the oblivious sender feels a twinge of shame.
>
> I'll try to make it for pizza tomorrow.
>
> Mike

As the oblivious sender in question, I agree wholeheartedly. I was trying to
return some modicum of civility to the discussion. It didn't work (obviously),
it obviously wasn't welcome, so I've walked away from it. If you want to call
me misguided, fine (Jima already did, maybe he's right), but please don't call
me self-righteous. My intentions were good. No shame here, just a little
disgust in the back of my mouth.

In any event, I've excused myself from the conversation. Frankly I think
people are being assholes but I guess if that's the "collective will" or
whatever then I'm not going to be able to stop it. I'm not going to talk about
it, certainly not going to "vote" about it, if that's what we're calling this
(no offense to Jordan or anybody else who's working hard at trying to make
sense of all that, you've got nothing but admiration from me).

So that's the end of that. I agree, I think this is stupid, but I can't stop
folks from being stupid. Sad story, the end.

I'll try and get there for pizza too. But frankly this whole experience has
pretty much guaranteed that I'll never brave a larger TCLUG meeting. And that
bums me out, I'd never been to one and I had kind of looked forward to doing
that one day.

-pete, okay now i'm really done really for real