Another thing different is Jumbo Frame support on server NICs.  Often times
the desktop variety only support 1500 MTU frames.

Bret.

On Saturday 11 October 2008 13:59:25 Marc Skinner wrote:
> most of the time server cards will offer tcp function offloading - for
> reduced CPU load.  that doesn't necessarily make the server card faster
> than the desktop card, it just makes the CPU work less under heavy load
> - since the desktop card has to rely on the CPU to do most of the TCP
> stuff, like checksumming, etc.  also, if PXE boot is important, make
> sure the card has that, i don't recall if that is a server only feature
> or if it is typically on both types of cards.
>
> Donovan wrote:
> > I'm upgrading a network to gigabit and most of our servers already
> > have gigabit NICs but a few will need an upgrade.  In looking at cards
> > I see some billing themselves as "desktop" and "server" cards.  The
> > only big differences I see are price and remote management features.
> > If I don't require the extra remote management features is there
> > anything else I'm missing if I go with the desktop card?

Bret Baptist
Senior Network Administrator
bbaptist at iexposure.com
Internet Exposure, Inc.
http://www.iexposure.com
(612)676-1946 x17

Providing Internet Services since 1995
Web Development ~ Search Engine Marketing ~ Web Analytics
Network Security ~ On Demand Tech Support ~ E-Mail Marketing