On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 11:29:50AM -0500, Adam wrote:
> I've been running a Gentoo box for a number of years now running a few
> domains off if it for myself and a few friends. I've been doing all the
> administration for BIND/Apache/Sendmail by hand.
>
> I'm looking to retire the hardware its on and possibly move the sites out
> of their current location.
>
> I'm looking at Slicehost as a place to get a decent priced VPS that can
> run any number of pre-configured distros.
>
> On top of this I'm also thinking about playing around with ISPconfig as it
> looks like a decent free alternative to CPanel.
>
> I want to get away from having to do all the admin work for my friends
> when they want to change a DNS entry or add a new email addy.
>
> Just wondering if anyone has done something similar for personal use? If
> so any recommendations

I run my own servers, but have eased my administration over the last few
years by relying on everydns.net for free and easy dns, and i've more
recently moved to google apps for email.  Freeing yourself from DNS and
especially email goes a long way in making it managable, imho.

I've tried outsourcing web stuff, but I am just too picky about how
everything is setup.  I have a server at a remote colo, but I just got
comcast business class at home and plan on moving back again to a local
server.

Dan