On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 14:45 -0400, Smith, Craig A wrote:
> Would something like
>   #dd  if=/dev/hda  of=/dev/hdb
> work?

I think so, assuming
* neither are mounted
* hdb is assigned to the new drive
* the new drive is the same size or larger than the original

> I assume I would first need to format the replacement drive with
> appropriate partitions (ext3 and swap).

dd also copies filesystems, so no need to format the new drive unless
you want to change the partition layout.

After you've done the image transfer, you can use resize2fs to enlarge
the partition.

> After the files are copied, I suppose I could rejumper the target
> drive to make it /hda or just edit it’s /etc/fstab.

Yep. Unless both are jumpered to "cable select", then you should just be
able to change the cabling. There may be a UUID or disk label
in /etc/fstab, so be sure to update that if necessary.

--
Adam Monsen