> Wrong car analogy.  If I have access to an engine, I might be able to
> learn how it works, by experimentation, or by having a friend help me.
> If it is welded shut then I cannot.

But have you? This isn't an attack against you (I haven't opened the
hood of my car for years). But the freedom to open my car doesn't really
matter to me because once I do open it I don't know what to do with it.
And right now it's not a matter of willingness to learn. I would need to
invest in tools and a place to work on my vehicle.

> [Also if I have the key to my hood I can take the car to any mechanic that
> I trust.  I don't have to go to a "manufacturer approved" maintenance
> facility that will charge exorbitant fees.]

It's wrong to assume that just because it's 'manufacturer approved' the
fees will be exorbitant. I find the car dealership to be the most cost
effective solution for my vehicle (I've compared prices), plus they
don't try to frighten me into additional repairs.

> _willing_, not able (I am excluding physical and psychic disabilities,
> as this was not your meaning.)

No, I meant able. As in having the requisite skill. There are things
that I am more than willing to do but which I am prevented from by lack
of skill (i.e. singing, playing piano). Additionally, learning to
harness the power of software demands an incredible investment of time
and energy. Many people are not able learn. Many people don't have the
time, the discipline, the mental aptitude, the knowledge, or the support
system necessary to undertake such a venture.

> Stallman's arguments are a point of view taken to extreme, but it is
> not sophistry.  His world view is utopian, but so was abolition of
> slavery or women's rights at some points in the history of mankind.

His views are sophist in that he's trying to convince us to use his
software by trying to convince us that our freedom is at stake unless we
do. He wants to protect our freedom to do what we want with software,
but if we want to use Windows, OS X, or even an ATI Driver in linux he
claims we sacrifice our freedom.

bg