Florin Iucha wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 04:44:48PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Elvedin Trnjanin wrote:
>>

>>> I was under the impression that non-free software was immoral because
>>> anything that takes away your rights is considered immoral. Doesn't
>>> matter if you agree to it, it's just a matter-of-fact.
>>>
>>> Is that not so?
>>>

> Not necessarily: we agreed to take away people's rights to punch one
> another willy-nilly, but we don't find this restriction immoral.

You could argue that you are given freedom from assault. I always
assumed that freedom is defined with positive rights, otherwise
treacherous tyrants might brag that their subjects have the freedom to
be executed at the will of the state.
>> Then copyright is immoral, right?
>>

> It depends.
>
>    Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life
>    of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by
>    being shared.
>       -- Buddha
>
> or
>
>    For if a thing is not diminished by being shared with others, it
>    is not rightly owned if it is only owned and not shared.
>       -- St. (Aurelius) Augustinus
>

> benjamin gramlich wrote:
> But non-free software doesn't take away your rights. It just protects
> the rights of others (the same rights you have when you write software,
> or a novel, or paint a picture). Software is speech, it is treated by
> the law as speech, and it comes under the same protection as speech.
> I've yet to read or hear any argument as to how my rights are violated
> by the use of closed source software. Saying so is like saying that
> listening to Pink Floyd's The Wall takes away my rights because I can't
> claim it as my own or play their music on my own recording. If you do
> not agree to the terms of the EULA then you have the FREEDOM to not use
> the product.

Freedom is a double edged sword since giving one person freedom takes it
away from another, which is a circular definition concluding that
freedom and propriety are both immoral.