On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Joshua Radke wrote:

> I've read tons of philosophical summaries from the FSF, the Open Source
> Initiative, and various other sources, which left me a bit confused.  I
> was most impressed with Richard Stallman's clarity, and would recommend
> one of his talks to anybody interested in understanding the FSF's
> position.

Stallman had no notes and no slides, but he spoke for about two hours and
I don't think he said "umm" even once.  It was pretty amazing if you think
about it.  It was so well organized that a transcript could probably be
published as a book chapter with almost no editing.  He obviously gets a
lot of practice!

I took a lot of notes (almost 6 pages) and wrote down some verbatim
quotes.  I'll post a long summary of the talk and quotes later.

I was glad that I wrote down the "four freedoms" (0 through 3) when he
first listed them because he later referred to them almost entirely by
number (as if we would remember!).

Mike