<alpine.GSO.2.00.0810271659500.10732 at taxa.epi.umn.edu>, Mike Miller
<mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Troy.A Johnson wrote:
>>> What is the license?  It's proprietary and staying that way?...
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_Office
>>> Sounds like something to avoid.
>> Only if you think proprietary software is evil.
>> Not everyone does.
> I don't think it is evil but I think it isn't a good thing and I avoid it.

Noted.

>>> Anything wrong with the GPL version of
>>> VirtualBox?
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Box
>> Besides requiring a Microsoft Windows license IN ADDITION to a Microsoft
>> Office license? Nothing. These are not equivalent pieces of software.
> So Codeweavers runs Windows-only programs without using any Microsoft
> software?  That does lead to a "lesser of two evils" kind of situation.

Not exactly.

It will run Windows programs without a
Windows installation (and thus a Windows
license), but it does require whatever
software you want to run. For "Crossover
Office", that would be Microsoft Office, and
that does require a license.

I can do without Microsoft Office myself,
but I know some people who cannot. With
this software they may be able to do without
Windows. In that instance, it can be a "lesser"
"evil".

Troy