-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Mike Miller
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2008 6:29 PM
To: TCLUG List
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] CrossoverOffice for free on Oct 28

> By the way, I was very disappointed to learn that Linux kernel has binary
> blobs in it that are not free software.  There is a similar problem with
> dynamic loading of device drivers leading to addition of non-free drivers
> to some distributions.  Stallman did recommend these distros though:
>
> Ututo:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ututo
> http://www.ututo.org/
>
> BLAG:
> http://www.blagblagblag.org/
>
> GNewSense:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNewSense
> http://www.gnewsense.org/
>
> Mike

You might also consider OpenBSD which as a complete OS strives to meet the
"no unfree software in their base system" goal as stated in their project
goals page. http://www.openbsd.org/goals.html
They have a special separation for GNU specific code in their source tree as
the GPL license is too strict for inclusion into their kernel.

Every release (6 month cycle) the OpenBSD project has a theme that loosely
matches up with some of their current struggles for writing free software.
In particular their version 3.9 focused specifically on blobs and you can
read a brief summary of their efforts as well as download and enjoy the
theme related song that is also included in the CD sets every release.
http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html

One common practice befalling most of the Linux world that adds to the
"unfree"-ness of most Linux distros is the lack of a fully free base OS such
as you are referring to. This type of topic is discussed every so often on
the OpenBSD MISC mailing list. There are some choice comments from Theo
(OpenBSD founder and primary leader) in this thread for example
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=121452549117639&w=2

Too many NDA's and other uncooperative methods of getting stuff to work with
Linux (yes, the kernel) goes on in the Linux based realm. OpenBSD wrote
their own BGP server, their own OSPF server, their own CVS server, their own
NTP server, their own packet filter/firewall, their own ssh implementation
(its called OpenSSH), etc just to replace the "unfree" popular versions.
They even do not include Apache 2 in base because the license is not free
enough though it is available via ports.

Just a couple $.01 for ya