Hello!

I need some advice.  Here is what happened:

The set-up:

Two 4 port High Point 1740 SATA controllers.  Each controller had four
250GB drives attached to it.  Each controller was set-up as a separate
RAID5 with one spare drive.  In Centos 5 Linux, this created two drives
in /dev, sda and sdb.

I needed a large storage space, without (as I thought) a high level of
safety.  So I partitioned the drives in parted and created sda1 and
sdb1.  I then used mdadm to create a RAID0 system across these two
drives.  The RAID device is called md0.

Everything worked fine.  It was doing exactly what it was designed for,
which was a large (1TB) temp storage space.  Then people saw that it was
a large storage space, so they started storing semi-critical data
(images) there.  They stored a lot of this data 300+ GB.  Then we had a
power surge.  The power surge damaged the power supply.  It wasn't
damaged enough to just drop the motherboard or fry a drive, it acted
slowly.  It started with one drive on the second controller.  It worked
intermittently during one week (while I was on vacation).  When I got
back to work on the machine, another drive dropped, then another in
quick succession.

So I replaced the power supply and hooked the drives back up.  Two of
the three dropped drives came back.  One of the drives was completely
dead.  I was able to add a spare drive and use the High Point supplied
GUI to rebuild the RAID5 array.

Here is where it stands:  sda and sdb appear in /dev.  That is good.
sda1 appears in /dev. that is good.  sdb1 does not appear in /dev.  That
is bad.  Apparently, the partition table was dropped on the second
array.  When I run mdadm to rebuild, it tells me there is only one drive
(sda1) in the array.  When I run parted, it cannot find any partition
information on sdb.

So here is where I am at.  Does anybody know of a way to restore/rebuild
this partition table?  Are the tables identical in sda1 and sdb1?  What
I mean is, in a RAID0, are the tables written across the drives?  Can I
copy the table from sda1 to sdb?  How do I do that?

Thanks in advance.  And I already know, it was a stupid set-up, it was a
frail system, etc., etc.  But before you let me have it, take this into
account:  the power surge was caused by the owner of the company
indiscriminately throwing circuit breakers  Even better:  he was
throwing circuit breakers with an electrician because they were trying
to determine how to run power down to the new data center.

TW