On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Erik Anderson <erikerik at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Sunny <sloncho at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I do not know how "cheap" are TiVos, but if it is in the 200$ price
>> range, check popcornhour A100:
>>
>> http://www.popcornhour.com/
>>
>> I have the unit, and it plays almost everything I throw at it. You can
>> add HDD to it for local storage (SMB and NFS servers build in), or it
>> has SMB client to play from a local share.
>
> I've been looking at those recently. Is it able to play video off of
> Hulu, ABC, NBC, etc?

It depends. It can play flash, but it has no integrated browser (i.e.
it has some "internal" one, which works with some specially crafted
pages to access services). For sure it works with youtube, and there
are a lot of other podcasts/services added. Here is a link with not
very updated list:
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=24

Also, it works with this community site for such a services:
http://www.mspsite.com/

I.e. there is an SDK, so one can build his own channels.

As what is provided by these service sites are some specially crafted
HTML pages, and the device allows to add custom services, one can
easily prepare something like that, and host it locally. (I haven't
done it yet).

Cheers

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.