In my experience (considerable: with several hundred programmers doing stuff
ranging from supercomputing OS and language stuff, to IT to embedded and
secure avionics, and so on... )  those who do kinda small single-thread
stuff like I/O intensive IT stuff will prefer vi, while those (eg, MIT PhDs)
who do huge and inter-related stuff will prefer Emacs.  Like most else, it's
context-dependent.   No surveys, except herding such cats on aerospace
contract projects and programs which have formal reviews, deliverables, and
so on.

Chuck