On Sun, 29 Aug 2010, Robert Nesius wrote:

> Yep - and notice the '-' in the su command.  I would see if you can
> reproduce the lag with and without the '-'.

Yup. I was able to do that... and I think the culprit was Samba. That's
where the delays were, anyway, and now that I've nuked Samba off that
machine it seems not to happen (not that I can reboot yet, but it hasn't
happened all day).

Looks like login/su were trying to authenticate to samba for some
reason... didn't bother investigating, I don't really have any need for
Samba on my network anymore (this was legacy from five years ago) so I
just kicked it off!

-Yaron