On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Mr. MailingLists <
mailinglists at soul-dev.com> wrote:

> On 1/20/2010 10:21 AM, Robert Nesius wrote:
>
> > I see the issue was group memberships (from the mail after this one)
> >
> > How did you create the user?  I'd expect there to be a way to create a
> > user in Ubuntu that would have covered details like "appropriate group
> > memberships"...
>

> I really don't think this would be possible, as the system would have to
> know which groups you want to grant a user access to. Heuristic
> development just isn't quite there yet, or at least not available to
> Ubuntu yet, keep an eye on Google chrome ;-) Tis the basic Skynet OS.

I'm pretty sure it's possible, but I can't confirm it.  Basically, certain
"types" of users would expect sound to work if they are using the computer.
When using Ubuntu's User Management GUI, you can specify a user as
"Administrator, Desktop User, or a guest.  I'm guessing if you create a test
user who with the "Desktop User Profile" they will be added to the audio
group.

I tried testing this theory, but the tool blew away my groups file (seems to
have been trying to write it at least) and I had to reboot into recovery
mode to restore the file.   I don't feel like testing that again.

-Rob