On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Mike Miller
<mbmiller+l at gmail.com<mbmiller%2Bl at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> Thus, this...
>
> External HDD #1  -->  remote machine  -->  External HDD #2
>
> ...was about twice as fast as this...
>
> External HDD #1  -->  External HDD #2
>
> There's something very wrong with a system that works that way.  If I had
> enough space on my internal HDD, I'd do this and probably get even better
> results:
>
> External HDD #1  -->  Internal HDD  -->  External HDD #2
>

> Another crazy thing is that it must have been really killing my CPU
> because I could hardly do anything else while the drive-to-drive USB
> transfer was active, but programs like "ps aux" and "top" (both of which
> literally took minutes to launch) seemed to show that almost nothing was
> happening.  Why is that?

I think this is likely a case of bus-contention.  Especially if the reads
and writes were being sent through the same bus/controller.  I've
had similar issues when doing things with USB devices.

Also were you doing your copies at the file system level
(cp or drag-and-drop) or at the block/device (dd) level?
If at the file system you're incurring overhead in allocating
space within the file system and updating the filesystem
structures.  Depending on how many files you have - that
can add up to a significant amount of overhead.

-Rob