I have been hunting all over, and I cannot find this simple information.

What's an 802.11g/n router _on the store shelves now_ (preferably
bricks/mortar) that I can buy that will comfortably run OpenWRT?
Gigabit ethernet would be nice, but not required.  I'm willing to
spend up to $100, maybe a bit more, if I have to.

I don't think I can get the firmware features I want in the native
firmware at that price, I tried that, and bought a router that, from
my reading of the box, I thought had something resembling a proxy
server.  I was wrong.  Don't know if I can return it.

My firmware feature list looks like this;
Must have;
Port forwarding

Nice-to-have;
QOS
proxy server

In order to run a proxy server comfortably, I think it's going to need
at least 8MB of flash.

Anyone got some advice?

Thanks,
Mark