The brain-wizards in architecture at my P.O.E. are using Chef to
create scripts that automate the creation of server instances on
Amazon EC2.

Basically it's like a build script for setting up a system. You click
go and a server instance is created and configured exactly as you want
it. They're pretty excited about it.

I haven't had any time to look into it, but I'd like to at some point.

-Erik