On Tue, 10 May 2011, Michael Berkowski wrote:

> On 5/10/2011 8:13 AM, Thomas Rieff wrote:
>
>> Being that Skype has gone to the Dark Side :-), Is there another video
>> conferencing alternative to Skype that could be used??? Linux based.
>> Server Based???
>
> Skype always kinda was on the dark side.

Definitely, but I have used it anyway, though rarely.  It's convenient to
have it on my Ubuntu netbook when I'm traveling.  I used it to call home
to the US from South Korea last year, and it worked great -- the hotel in
South Korea had 18 mpbs down and 7 mbps up.

> MS does intend to continue supporting non-Win platforms for Skype
> though.

That's what matters to me with Skype.  It's a paying service anyway.  It
might not even be possible to develop a free-software/open-source solution
for that because people might find ways to cheat -- I'm sure that's a
major concern.

Well, there is also computer-to-computer calling and conferencing and
there I have no reason to want Skype and would definitely prefer FOSS.

Mike