On 4/2/2012 10:38 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2012, Wayne Johnson wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2 Apr 2012, Mike Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Suppose one drive failed in my RAID1 mirrored pair.  Can I then
>>> simply pull the bad drive, replace it with a good one (brand new),
>>> and have it work?  Will it just automagically rebuild the RAID1 by
>>> mirroring onto the new drive?
>>>
>>> This is Ubuntu software RAID1.
>>
>> Actually, in my experience, the drive may not have a permement
>> failue.  You can re-activate the drive again, it will resync the
>> failed drive, and you are running again.  If it happens too
>> frequently, replace the drive.
>
> How do I reactivate a drive?  That sounds like a great idea.
>
> Mike

On the new drive you will need to create new MD raid partitions. From
there you will use mdadm to add the partition to the raid array:

mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdXX
(where sdXX is your partition of type md you just created)

then do a "watch cat /proc/mdstat" to watch it rebuild.

You may also want to reload your bootloader on the drive so that grub is
on both sides of your mirror.