My household currently has local phone service with CenturyLink. Like
most people, we make most of our calls on our mobile phones. The primary
reason I've not considered going without a land line, is for 911
service. I have two kids, and would prefer that they are able to pickup
a regular handset, than try to find a prepaid cell phone in a drawer
somewhere.

Its come to my attention that some states require emergency phone
service, even on a disconnected line. This is sometimes called a 'soft
line' or 'warm line'. But the only information I can find on this law is
from a 3 year old article from Consumer Reports here:
http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2009/05/update-about-911-and-disconnected-landlines.html

Can anyone definatively say that Minnesota does or does not have this
requirement? Anyone with a disconnected CenturyLink line into your home
willing to test this? Apparently, you can dial 811 on a disconnected
line and get to a telco switch board; I wouldn't recommend to anyone
dialing 911 for non-emergency reasons.

Thanks

Scott