Also, as Justin pointed out, the cyanogen wiki tends to have very good
instructions. I've rooted and installed cyanogenmod on many devices using
instructions fromt he wiki. Heck, my mom rooted and Kindle Fire with
instructions from the web (and me going "It's ok, you can do it!")

My advice is read through the instructions a few times. Get ADB installed,
see if you can do the non-destructive bits, and see how comfortable you
feel with it. I know it seems complicated but the instructions available
ARE very good.