Hardware is pretty much the lowest price in your business solution -
what is the cost of the server being down?  I'm talking enterprise now,
not home use of course.

Most of the enterprises I work with have multiple servers for their
important apps - in application clusters or in virtual clusters - they
have raid'ed disk subsystems, and there is a lot of extra disk space to
go around.

When your building solutions for an enterprise - you have to expect
failures, what does that failure mean to your business.  There is a
reason commodity x86 platforms are taking all the proprietary unix
workloads, cost, scale-out etc.  With that low cost you can have
multiple systems, spare boards, etc on the shelf, and most of my
customers do.

All I'm saying is use LVM, don't allocate all your disk space ahead of
time - have a safety net!  Disk is cheap.