Most hibernation/suspend problems short of power control, acpi, apci,
upower, udisks, console/polkit are because of not enough swap .. ie
your swap MUST be larger than physical RAM to save the whole running
snapshot.

Anyway,

Gnome3 supports dual head setups out of the box. As does XMonad. I
prefer the latter but I also use the former. As far a KDE 4. It has
been a failure in my eyes for the Plasmas and their constant crashing.
That could be due to issues with Xorg also. What I do know is that the
KDE4 apps NEVER crash on other DE/WM's but constantly do in the Plasma
environment. I have had this happen with both, Intel, AMD/ATI and NV.
Among many different types of motherboards and brands of computers. So
... take it for what its worth. I'll give you some iodized salt just
to use if necessary. ;)

--
---
Gregory Key