On Dec 3, 2013, at 11:32 AM, Jake Vath <jake.vath at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess, what I was saying might not have been clear.
>
> If you used rotatelogs (or something to rotate the logs), wouldn't that move some_log_file.log to some_log_file.log.1 and recreate some_log_file.log?
> Then your scripts could remove some_log_file.log.1, which would create a new file descriptor that references the newly created inode for some_log_file.log.
> When you delete some_log_file.log.1 wouldn't that free up that file descriptor and the inode which was referenced?
> Wouldn't this force an update of the available inodes in the file table?

Yes, I believe so. But I haven’t been using rotatelogs at all so… I wouldn’t know (even on my production servers - I have massive storage for log files I’ve always compressed them once a year and burned them to multiple media types for archiving).

As for logformat if I knew where this was coming from I wouldn’t have to rotate logs - I’d just kill the logging. LDAP is only used in my application (within PHP) not on the server itself (which is using it as a different login with lighttpd).