I have no experience with openindiana but I have recently spent some time
playing with http://smartos.org/.  My interest is in using it as a
hypervisor to run zoned clients / vms on zfs.  I don't have enough
experience with yet to really comment much beyond saying I'm still very
intrigued.  Although I have to admit there is a really good chance I'll
just fall back to linux containers and kvm because that's what I'm more
familiar with.